Looking for the right types of media shelving? If you are an avid collector of CD’s and DVD’s you probably understand the need of media storing. Just thinking about rummaging through boxes and cupboards and how your precious cases could damage makes us cringe.
Hence, the very helpful multimedia storage unit; which is the perfect way to protect your collection. But media shelving doesn’t only offers to store your items, it can do that while adding a touch of style into your sacred entertainment space. It then becomes an item that effortlessly works with the rest of your décor.
With so many options, it can become troublesome to make the right decision, which storage unit best suits your needs you probably wonder. Reason why we are here to help and point you in the right direction by giving you some of the best option on types of media shelving and more useful tips.
What are the types of media shelving?
An entertainment unit combines your multimedia storage needs with your TV, sound system, digital players and gaming consoles to keep all your multimedia items in a single, convenient location.
Wall Mounted Storage
Wall-mounted units can be placed alongside your current home media unit or attached along hallways or in the corner of the room. These are suitable for homes that are short on space, offering to minimize the vertical space in your home.
Open shelving units offer the largest storage capacity of any multimedia organizational solution to accommodate your entire collection while allowing for easy accessibility.
Cabinets typically feature adjustable internal shelves that allow you to customize the space to fit your collection as well as sliding or hinged doors to protect your multimedia items.
The most basic form of multimedia storage is the racking system. These units often feature angled racks that provide added security for your collection. Racking systems may also offer discrete slots for individual CDs and DVDs.
These units appear similar to an entertainment unit or buffet but feature an increased number of drawers perfectly designed to fit CDs and DVDs. The drawers keep multimedia items neatly organized and protected and evoke the classic appeal of an apothecary cabinet.
What features should you look in a media shelving unit?
Whether you have a small selection of favorites or a huge collection you want to display, buying a media storage unit with a large capacity ensures that you will always have room for every item and space for expansion as your collection grows.
Look for units constructed from durable materials such as powder-coated metal, solid wood or strong plastic with quality craftsmanship that is built to last.
Natural wood grains add warmth and texture to a living space, while high-gloss finishes give the room a modern, minimalist appearance. The finish defines how the media storage unit will fit into your home décor, so you need to select a unit with a high-quality finish that blends with your style.
You should look for a unit that grows along with your multimedia collection. Adjustable shelves allow you to customize the storage space for improved organization that is more aesthetically pleasing.
Many styles of multimedia storage racks feature a rotating carousel, while other units use a combination of open shelves to allow you to display your frequently used items, and cabinets to protect rare or less used items.
Where to buy media shelving?
Contemporary style and design for all of your high capacity multimedia needs. Fully adjustable shelves allows you to customize each shelf to your personal needs.
Dividers provide organization and allow for stylizing each shelf. The sturdy steel wire construction insure many years of use to store and organize your CDs, DVDs, BluRays and Games.
- Adjustable Height
- Adjustable Shelving
This multi-functional unit provides CD/DVD storage anywhere in your home.
Finished with a rich walnut finish and wood texture, the handsome media cabinet compactly stores up to 624 CDs, 260 DVDs or 128 VHS tapes.
The shelves are height-adjustable, and the doors open 180º for easy access. Assembly required. Wood.
- Multi-functional unit
- Engineered Wood
- Assembly required
The Top Loading Media Cabinet is perfect for storing the most used media because there is no bending to retrieve your favorite movie.
The Top Load locks providing secure storage for expensive DVD’s, CD’s and Video Tapes. It is also a welcome deterrent to curious young children. Holds Your Entire Media Collection.
- Locking Top Section
- Cabinet Measures 37¼” H x 48½” W x 13″ D
Uniquely designed for maximum CD, DVD, and VHS media storage. Sophisticated cabinet for traditional living rooms and upscale décor.
Formal, elegant and functional sliding glass design provides easy access to media. Adjustable shelves for flexible storage. MDF wood look cabinet in Espresso.
- Adjustable Shelves
- Tempered Glass
- Sliding Doors
Translucent smoke side pieces in an attractive diamond pattern make for an eye-catching and decorative approach to media in this striking 5-tier media rack.
Movable dividers are a clever way to categorize your collection and keep it neatly in order; and it’s expandable with other units sold separately.
Style, substance, and lots of storage for your CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and games makes the Mitsu a great solution for small spaces.
- Expandable with additional units
- Sliding Dividers
Common Questions About Types of Media Shelving
How to choose the size of a media shelving?
- Evaluate your belongings. Count and if possible make an inventory of your current collection, lastly make an estimation of how much your collection may grow in the future.
- Measure the room/ location of your media shelving. Match the unit to the space of the furniture and the overall size of the room. Take exact measurements of the location, and allow a couple of inches clearance on each side.
- Keep in mind extra functions. For multifunctional pieces, an entertainment unit is the best option as it offers a wide variety of storage areas including shelves, cabinets and horizontal surfaces for displaying accessories and digital players.
Which materials are media shelving made of?
- Solid wood. This is one of the most durable options when it comes to media shelving options and are among the most expensive. Hardwoods like oak or maple are denser than softwoods like pine and offer greater stability and longevity.
- Metal. Some media storage unit comes with a metal frame that can be a great addition to a modern or industrial styled home. One of the main benefits of choosing a media shelving made of metal is that these pieces can be quite durable thanks to the corrosion resistant metal used.
- Glass. Tempered glass shelves can help a small space appear larger due to the transparency and open structure of the shelves. For visual aesthetic purposes, these pieces are suitable for a moderate size collection.
- MDF. Manufactured wood offers an affordable alternative to solid wood. It also comes in a variety of colors and finishes to suit your décor.
Additional Tips Regarding Types of Media Shelving
- Look for features that enhance the accessibility of your media items while protecting them from damage.
- Choose a material and finish that complements your décor and adds textural interest to the space.
- When selecting a size, keep your storage unit to scale with the rest of the furniture in the room for a balanced design.
- Begin by taking stock of your multimedia collection and deciding whether you need space-saving storage or a combined multimedia and entertainment unit.