Are you looking for Fireplace Shelving Ideas to maximize your fireplace space and are in search of the right shelving solution? When it comes to storage and organization, shelving offers functionality for any home, office, or school space. The reason why today we will be telling you about different fireplace shelving ideas.
Fireplace owners have a fantastic opportunity to decorate this magical area in their homes with the right shelving ideas. Having a fireplace without a mantel is like owning a sofa without the throw pillows. The opportunity is there, and the couch would look better with the throw pillows, but all you have to do is add them.
Fireplace shelving ideas can be the answer to making your living room look organized and attractive.
Whether you are organizing art or your favorite childhood photos, ensuring quality is also crucial. And with so many options, it can be challenging to make the right choice. So we are here to help and point you in the right direction by showing you different fireplace shelving ideas that will surely take your fireplace to the next level.
Fireplace Shelving Ideas
Minimalist modern style with beautifully stained hardwood. Invisible mounting bracket-less design helps display the dark acacia finish.
Heavy-duty, actual acacia wood block with high-quality stain. When adequately mounted to a stud or included anchors, it can comfortably hold up to 33 lbs.
Create instant open storage in a small home, or add accent to a large room. Hang in the kids’ room, living area, kitchen, office, mantel above the fireplace, closet.
- Wall Mount
Made of laminated MDF and particleboard, the crisp white finish is accented by the dark gray marble effect around the electric fireplace insert.
Elegant 3 tier Altra Lamont mantel fireplace brings a bright, beautiful new look to your living room or family room with its white and dark gray faux marble finish.
Dust and wipe with a dry cloth, and if needed, a damp cloth may be used sparingly.
- Engineered Wood
- Fireplace with Bookcase
The wood grain is artwork by nature. Every shelf has its unique wood grain, which creates an authentic environment in your room.
Each shelf reflects the distinctive characteristic of the tree it comes from, so no two pieces are alike. Since it’s wood, the piece will have natural cracks.
All wooden pieces are handcrafted and finished with water-resistant, eco-friendly, and durable oil for superior protection.
- Wall Mount
Strong and nicely secured to the wall by wood blocks set onto the wall. The league has an L shape slot that fits into a channel on the shelf-after seating the shelf in the L shape block; technically, the frame becomes removable.
Particular crown molding style curved line-add a sense of elegance to your home décor. The transverse groove prevents your frames from sliding.
Ideal for displaying decorative home accessories, pictures, trophies, books, and more.
- Space saver
- Wall Mount
This Fireplace Mantel is an Authentic Hand Hewn Reclaimed Barn Beam. The wood beams have been individually handcrafted, which will help create a shabby, chic, cottage, or rustic look.
Fireplace beam mantel makes an attractive centerpiece in any room; provide extra warmth and comfort in a cozy gathering space. With rough cut ends for a natural, artisan accent.
Pearl Mantels features fine furniture quality, stunning details, and classic designs that will enhance any décor.
This transitional mantel is the perfect focal point for your room. It is made from medium-density fiberboard, also known as MDF. MDF is a composite wood commonly used for furniture, cabinetry, shelving, and decorative moldings.
This mantel has a 1 1/2″ projection off of the wall, leaving a nice pocket behind the mantel to accommodate your tile, stone, marble, etc.
- MDF Mantel
- Engineered Wood
- Wall Mount
Common Questions About Fireplace Shelving Ideas
What is a fireplace shelf called?
In modern usage, mantel refers to a shelf above a fireplace, and mantle refers to a cloak or covering. Mantel and mantle are now usually regarded as distinct, with mantel used for a shelf above a fireplace and mantle used for a blanket or other covering.
How do you make a fireplace shelf?
- Measure Your Space. Size the mantel to fit your fireplace, and choose moldings and trim that mimic nearby profiles
- Cut the Pieces. Cut the shelf, breast, legs, returns, and nailing strips to size.
- Assemble the Mantel. Attach the legs to the breast by screwing plywood cleats across their back seams. Screw nailing strips to the back of the assembly, ¾ inch from each outer edge. Set returns against the stripes, flush with the outer edges. Secure them with screws.
- Cut and Add the Trim. Nail-centered pilasters to each leg. Install a nailing block on each pilaster flush with its top edge. Miter and nail trim to the mantel according to the diagram below. Start with the baseboard at the bottom, add crown molding at the top, then add astragal molding below the crown molding and along the bottom of the breast. Miter and nail the doorstop to the edges to finish the return to the surround.
- Attach the Shelf. Trim the shelf by mitering and nailing shoe molding to its edges. Nail through the top of the frame into the mantel. Fill all fastener holes before sanding and finishing the entire piece.
What do you put on shelves above the fireplace?
The possibilities as to what you can place above your fireplace shelf are endless to be as creative as you want. A few ideas could be:
- Mantel Shelf With Molding and Crystal Knobs
- Mantel Shelf With Antique Collection
- Mantel Shelf and Baskets
- Mantel Shelf and Ceramic Vases
- Mantel Shelf With Curio and Frames
- Mantel Shelf With Eclectic Frames
- Mantel Shelf With Storage Hooks
- Mantel Shelf With Fresh Flowers
- Mantel Shelf With Art
- Place a large mirror to add more light
What do you put on either side of the fireplace?
If your fireplace mantel has built-ins on both sides, top them with a mix of practical and decorative accents to tie in with the rest of your room. Think books, lamps, candles, vases, woven art, and other accessories that captivate the eye from afar.
How much do built-in shelves cost the fireplace?
Generally speaking, costs range from $500 to $5,000 or more.
Additional Tips on Fireplace Shelving Ideas
- You can use decorative touches to highlight your mantel, with clever tips such as layering antique mirrors, hanging a vintage oil painting above, or adorning it with lush plants.
- Framing the fireplace with other pieces of art in various sizes makes it a real focal point.
- You can show off your original brick fireplace and give it a unique look by surrounding it with antique wood.
- Displaying collectibles on your mantel is a great way to show off your items while creating a charming look.
- Use your mantel to display your beautiful porcelain dishes.
- Keep things nice and symmetrical up above with a couple of vases filled with wheat sheaves and a painting.
- Instead of hanging plants from the ceiling, display them around eye level to freshen up your home for spring.
- Built-in cabinetry on either side of the fireplace reinforces the sense of balance.